Thursday 21 April 2011

Floweres for my birthday

I actually laid in the dirt to take this picture.

So, we apologize for being delinquent bloggers. I also apologize for cheating, because this post is not necessarily about Scotland at all, but rather a trip we took with Cory last weekend to Holland. Background story: for about 7 years now I have been fascinated with Holland’s tulips. I saw a photograph of the tulip fields taken from the air with rows of colors blazing brightly and I have wanted to go ever since. As an early bday present this year, Andrew and Cory humored me as I spent two full days in the flowers.


The gardens

Our first day we went to Keurkendof, the most amazing spring time garden I have ever seen. There were flowers EVERYWHERE! There were also people everywhere, all wanting the same pictures. There are some people who decided to just push there way in. The best example was the teenager, who in a very thick accent looked at us (who by the way was trying to get a photo at the time) and in a very aggitated tone explained "excuse me". Apparently we were the two (out of about 100 other tourists) he really didn't want in his picture.


New meaning to the phrase "flower power".

We were there for the flowers parade, which this year had a musical theme.  The parade actually started about 1.5 hours late. It turns out that a float had gotten a flat tire earlier in the parade route. Once they got it fixed, it was only a matter of minutes before there were more problems. At least this time the float broak down in the general area where we were, so we got to watch as they attempted to fix the float. Masssive amounts of people broke through the barriers to get a closer look (or to leave in frustration). In resulted in about the most chaotic parade I have ever been to.  But the floats were certainly worth the chaos.


This is my happy place!

Then I took a day to bike through the farmers’ fields of flowers. This was no doubt my favorite part of the trip. I road a bike for 15 miles and saw nothing but fields of color the entire way. Just amazing. There were flowers everywhere you turned. The best birthday present ever. Thank you boys for tolerating the tulips!



1 comment: