Thursday 27 January 2011

Day trip to Glasgow

Last weekend Andrew and I decided we would take our first train trip. We went to Glasgow, Scotland's largest city. To be honest, Glasgow leaves a bit to be desired. It was a huge industrial city, and there is a bit of left over pollution. Still, the art galleries were amazing. Much to Andrew's dismay we left at 7:00 am, and found ourselves in Glasgow long before things were open. It was cold and had the thickest fog either of us had ever seen. We made our way through the Glasgow Cathedral, past a parade of loyal orange followers (who swore their allegiance to the Protestant faith as they literally marched through the city with their drums), and on to the Barras market. Now, I don't know that I would actually recommend the Barras market to anyone. It was a bit "dodgy". But, at that point we were freezing and the 2 pound pair of gloves were a welcomed site. From the market we found our way to the People's Palace, a museum designed to tell the people's history (in a wonderfully heated building where we may have snuck in a picnic lunch).

Noon came, and the fog was still thick. We made our way to the Gallery of Modern Art with no more than five feet of visibility in front of us. But by the time we left to catch Kelvingroves galleries in eastern Glasgow... we could see again. I think the Kelvingrove galleries were probably our favorite. They had everything from Scottish art to Egyptian mummies, all in one place. So Andrew could enjoy the history, while I enjoyed the art. As our day was coming to a close we grabbed a cup of tea in the Willow Tea Room. It is famous because it was designed by the city's renowned architect, Macintosh. But we liked it because their tea was the best we have had since we have been here.

Just when Andrew thought he was going to get a break from running around the city, I made him backtrack to get pictures of everything we had seen that day without the fog. Andrew said it was painful, literally. But I thought the pictures were well worth the trek. Now we can share them with all of you!!!

We miss you all! erin


4 comments:

  1. Wow, I can totally identify with Andrew! I can't even count the number of times we have had to trek back for the "perfect" sunset shot, or in search of every Christmas tree in the city! But I'll admit, your pictures are always beautiful :) Miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Its funny that you mention that because as Andrew was commenting about how painful it was to around the city for a second time I said "you shouldn't complain. Tiffany had to put up with way worse." I dont know how you did it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay for day trips and adventures!! Great pictures and retelling.:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so glad you got to go to the Willow Tea Room! When I was in Glasgow it was closed, so we saw the Hill House instead. I love CRM! Do you have any more photos of the Tea Room?

    ReplyDelete