Monday 14 February 2011

# 7- Don't wear snow boots at work

So I am sure most people have lived in places where it snows before and know the dos and don'ts of snow boots. I, however, have lived in south and central Texas my entire life, and didn't really experience much snow. The first week we were here, there was almost always snow on the ground. Having the grace of my mother, walking in the snow presented quite a few challenges. I was constantly slipping around. Fix: snow boots. For Christmas, my mother gave Andrew and I both "all-weather" boots. Perfect for walking in the snow: great traction, warm, and they keep your feet dry. So, I perceded to wear my boots to work (and really everywhere else I went). The problem with my snow boots is they are heavy, and I tend to drag my feet. The result was a really loud clunking sound resounding throughout the halls of my office. People often looked at me with a funny look as I walked by them throughout the day. I realized they were staring at my boots, but I just didn't care. I didn't want to slip and slide on my way to work. One day, as I am walking through the halls, on of my collegues commented saying she liked my boots. I explained (in utter embarassment) "I know they are loud and somewhat unprofessional for work, but if I didn't wear them I would never make it to work without slipping in the ice or snow." She laughed and replied "I wouldn't either, I wear them everyday... of course I change into flats when I get to the office". As she continued her walk down the hall I had one of those moments where you are sure you must be the dumbest person in the world, but are so thankful someone pointed it out to you. I now keep my flats in my backpack if there is snow on the ground. 

No comments:

Post a Comment